Military Channel -- Operation Opera - 1981 Reactor Bombing

E-3, E-3, E-737, E-767, EC-121, etc.
GuyBud
FNG

Military Channel -- Operation Opera - 1981 Reactor Bombing

Post by GuyBud » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:06 pm

I was watching the Military channel tonight and the episode came on about Operation Opera ( 7 June 1981) -- One of the tidbits they mentioned was that the IDF had to avoid the Saudi Awacs -- pretty tough since the proposal to sell the E-3 to Saudi wasn't presented to Congress until the Fall of 1981. So the Saudis couldn't have been flying their own aircraft in June of the same year..

I did some further research on the web and aparently there were a couple of books written about the mission -- one of them dismisses the fact the F-16s were flying so close together they were mistaken for an airliner.

Well I was sitting beside Steve Kramer when we all saw the combat spread of 8 heading for the disputed territory diamond between Saudi and Iraq -- Steve call the Saudi SOC to ask if they saw anthing unusual. They responded that the Jordanians had tagged the track as an airliner and not to worry about it.. We all sat there and watched the flight turn north and head right to Bagdhad.

Was anyone else on this board on that mission?

Guy

wildbill
Veteran
AEW Units: 963 AWACS 552 ACW
Call Sign: Wild Bill

re: Operation Opera

Post by wildbill » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:22 pm

Wikipedia has a decent entry on thisClick here to see the article.

Here's an image of the route:

wildbill
Veteran

HUD video of Operation Opera

Post by wildbill » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:31 pm

Here's the HUD video

Click here...

Jrod
Veteran
AEW Units: 965,963
Call Sign: Jrod

Post by Jrod » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:17 am

I can't remember who told me, but when I first got to the Wing, I was being inbriefed by one of the higher up enlisted and I think they told me the E-3 was too far south to see the strike. At least that was the story I heard, but maybe it was in the news. After deploying there, I always wondered about it, as we were never that far south while on station.... :o

wildbill
Veteran

Post by wildbill » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:49 pm

Jrod wrote:I can't remember who told me, but when I first got to the Wing, I was being inbriefed by one of the higher up enlisted and I think they told me the E-3 was too far south to see the strike. At least that was the story I heard, but maybe it was in the news. After deploying there, I always wondered about it, as we were never that far south while on station.... :o
If they ingressed low level which I think that's what the story said we probably would not have seen them until the popped up for the final attack run. And then it may have just looked like traffic in or near Baghdad.

cya
bill

lavella
FNG

Operation Opera - 1981 Reactor Bombing

Post by lavella » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:48 pm

GuyBUD

I wondered about that myself when I flew there. Since you were on the mission I'd like to hear more details if you have them.

LML
963d ASO 81-86
NAEW TD 93-96