AWACS Life expectancy study?

General, Non-AEW chatter about just about any subject that is dear to your heart.

Talk it up folks....
1A5guy
FNG

AWACS Life expectancy study?

Post by 1A5guy » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:52 am

While looking around this site I found the "Final Offstation Calls", and I couldn't help but notice how young the people are when they move on. With AWACS only being 30+ years, the first AWACers (to start in AWACS) are just now reaching their mid to late 60's with many barely turning 60, but a large number of obituary's are of people right at age 60 or below. Does anyone know if there has been a life expectancy study for those who fly on AWACS? I've read all the obits and it seems there are a lot of people passing away from such a small community too soon.

wildbill
Veteran
AEW Units: 963 AWACS 552 ACW
Call Sign: Wild Bill

Re: AWACS Life expectancy study?

Post by wildbill » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:05 am

I just turned 61 and have had pretty good health. Just back problems and one heart stint. But I can feel myself starting to slow down. I've not heard of any studies being done.

Bill

jimnorth
FNG
AEW Units: 552nd AWACW.966th AWACTS, 3rd ACCS, 961st AWACS

Post by jimnorth » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:13 am

I've also been wondering about that lately--seems more than a few of our comrades are departing relatively early. Should we have some concerns about exposure to "radar beams?" I spent the first half of my career living pretty much under the shadow of high-powered search radars such as the FPS-20 and FPS-35. The second half of my career was spent in AWACS.

During the 1940s atomic testing, there was no concern about any danger regarding the exposure of participating GIs.

Similarly, no apparent danger was associated with Agent Orange during Vietnam.

Now both exposures are being attributed to subsequent health problems.

Apparently there have not been any studies directed toward the possible long-term health effects of exposure to radar energy. Maybe it's time for such a study.

EX964IFE
Veteran
AEW Units: 964th, 965th, 961st
Call Sign: EPR

Post by EX964IFE » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:09 pm

I flew in the front (pointy-end) as a FE for about ten years. My biggest problem is diabetes and hypertension (VA says not associated with diabetes-unknown cause; that's another book). Has anyone noticed the "tics" we AWACers have? Like being startled. Not often, just an ocassional jump while you're at rest. Don't know if it's just me. I did notice a lot of pilot's with this even during my early AWAC days. Maybe someone should commission a study.