Newby Introduction

General, Non-AEW chatter about just about any subject that is dear to your heart.

Talk it up folks....
Rickskid
FNG
AEW Units: RAF E-3D AWACS Component
Call Sign: Magic Ops

Newby Introduction

Post by Rickskid » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:15 pm

Good Evening Folks,

My name is Ian and I have just joined this Forum tonight, I am ex RAF WO who served 32 years in the RAF, quite a lot of it within Lincolnshire in the UK. During 1999 I was detached as an SNCO Ops Officer with the Waddington AEW Component to Aviano when we were involved Operation Allied Force missions. As usual I went out there worked in the Ops HAS and got on with my job, it was the most exciting time in my whole RAF career. Sadly I didn't take a great deal of notice who and what was going on around me as we were just too busy!

Now I have been in Civvy street for 5 years and I am writing a book on the History of AEW&C aircraft. Part of which of course will include Op Allied Force and Waddo's AWACs part in it. I'm writing the book with a good Brazilian friend of mine Sergio S who has written articles for some of the most popular British Aviation magazines. We have just found a publisher for the book and have deadline for the end of this year to finish the text so that it can be published in the summer of 2013. We am not writing the book to make money in fact we will get coppers for each copy sold, we are not bothered about that as we just want to tell the real story. What we are trying to established (for graphics in the book) are where were orbit areas were located for the various wars and Operations that the E-3's AWACS have been involved in, obviously within the bounds of the varous nationalities Secrets policies.

We are also keen to hear of any stories or annecdotes (that are printable of course) that members of the AEW fraternity can tell us, again those that could be legally published.

It's a long time since Edwin Leigh Armistead's AWACS & Hawkeyes was published so Sergio and I are keen to update the story and to describe recent advances and future platforms in a brand new book that will have over 200 illustrations mostly colour within it's covers.

So if you feel that there are any stories or info that needs to be out there please let me know as I feel that this forum could be the ideal source to spread the word.

Thanks for reading

Ian

wildbill
Veteran
AEW Units: 963 AWACS 552 ACW
Call Sign: Wild Bill

Re: Newby Introduction

Post by wildbill » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:39 pm

Ian

Nice to meet you and glad to hear you are working with Sergio. Sergio and I have communicated off and on for several years now. Re: Leigh Armistead, I understand that he is working to published an updated copy of his book. Don't know when that will happen though.

For Desert Shield/Storm there were no hard orbits for the E-3 once the war started. The area was divided into three AOR's and the E-3's would move around in their respective AOR's as needed. The AOR's were:

Western - E-3 Mission Callsign = Cougar
Central - E-3 Mission Callsign = ???
Eastern - E-3 Mission Callsign = Bulldog

An interesting little bit of tactical deception was that before the war started all the fighter call signs were a species of fish (Trout, Bass, etc) and the tankers were using Oil Company names (Gulf, Exxon, Chevron, etc.) and the day the war started the tankers and fighters switched call signs.

Another interesting note is most air refueling tracks were named after berries. Blueberry, Raspberry, Blackberry, etc. Then one day they must have run out of berry names because a couple of new tracks were named "Chuck Berry" and "Marion Berry"

cya
bill

bully
Veteran
AEW Units: Sqn. 1 NATO AWACS
Call Sign: Bully

Post by bully » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:57 am

Hi there Ian!

It just came to my mind that I met a WO called Ian during an Elint TLP at Florennes in 1997ish, if I remember correctly (he was from Waddo, am just not sure which Squadron he was in).
Welcome to this forum!

During the Operations in regard to Former Yugoslavia, most orbits were feet wet over the Adriatic but I was told that those Orbit Ddesignators are not to be discussed by me..
As for the Callsign...well you know...Magic (Cyrano when the French E-3F were on station) followed by a two digit number...

When you are finished with the book...please let us know, I want to buy at least 2 copies! :D

Cheers

Bernd Kemper
Last edited by bully on Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Happy landings, Bernd
AWACS Crew 1994-2000
Remember YUKLA 27
Remember ESSO 77

Rickskid
FNG
AEW Units: RAF E-3D AWACS Component
Call Sign: Magic Ops

Post by Rickskid » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:07 am

Hi again Guys,

Sorry I've taken so long to reply but we have had a bit of a serious family episode for the past 8 months that we are just coming out of the other side of now. Bernd I haven't been in contact since April when you were busy moving house, I hope everything went well and you are settled now. Bill, thanks for the Callsign gen it is invaluable.

Regards

Ian